Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked as Napoli manager despite leading the Italian side to the knockout stages of the Champions League on Tuesday. A hat-trick from Arkadiusz Milik against Belgian side Genk ended a nine-match winless run in all competitions to ensure Napoli went through as runners-up in Group E behind Liverpool, although it was not enough to save the former Chelsea manager’s position.

“Napoli has decided to revoke the role of technical manager of the first team from Mr Carlo Ancelotti,” read a statement on Twitter. “The relations of friendship, esteem and mutual respect between the company, its president Aurelio De Laurentiis and Carlo Ancelotti remain intact.”

The former Milan manager, Gennaro Gattuso, is the hot favourite to take over from Ancelotti, who has been linked with the vacancies at Arsenal and Everton in recent days. Ancelotti said after the 4-0 win over Genk that he had been due to meet club owner De Laurentiis on Wednesday.

“We agreed to have a meeting,” he said. “I hope to stay but that is a decision the president will make. This team has quality which they have shown in the Champions League but not in the league. They haven’t said anything to me, I was just preparing the match. Will I resign? I’ve never done that in my life.”